Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Discussion
1. Uninstall the 'Microsoft games for windows - Live redistributable' item in your Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Control Panel>Programs and Features (Vista).
2. Go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\ directory and rename the Fallout3.exe.cat file to something else, e.g. Fallout3.exe._cat.
3. Importantly, download a 'fixed' xlive.dll file from here timeslip.chorrol.com/index.html (see the 1 November news item and use the 'fix' link). Place this modified file under your \Windows\System32\ directory (or \Windows\Syswow64 for 64-bit OSes). I recommend renaming the original xlive.dll file that's already first there rather than overwriting it with the modified version. Note: without an xlive.dll file in the \Windows\System32\ directory, launching Fallout 3 will result in an error.
4. Launching the game now should be free of any Live-related functionality. However make sure you don't click the Live item in the main Fallout 3 game menu as this can freeze the game.
Uninstalling/disabling Live as covered above should be trouble-free, but if you do run into problems, reinstall Fallout 3 and Live will be reinstalled along with it. In the end there's no real reason why you should uninstall Live, but as noted, it's not completely necessary and some people do claim that removing it resolves various issues, so try it at your own risk.
[Edited by ROADBLOCK02, 1/27/2009 9:04:20 PM]
[Edited by ROADBLOCK02, 1/27/2009 9:05:45 PM]
[Edited by ROADBLOCK02, 1/27/2009 9:06:04 PM]
[Edited by ROADBLOCK02, 1/28/2009 6:28:35 AM]
* Updated game trainers and cheats daily
* Get notified when new cheats are added
* Request which games get new trainers
* Priority support with any problem