Delete trainer and all files in
Learn how to make your own Trainer Cleaner for the above paths Here. Link
Reboot PC to clear excess memory, get a fresh copy of latest trainer and extract it. Run trainer as admin, read the instructions and try again. At times, a new game may be needed to resolve failed options if the data in your save file was altered. Use on a new game and test the option. If it now works, quit to main menu and load your save and try it again. May also need to run the game without the trainer first and play a bit so the save file gets updated to use possible new values.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified that I did originally perform those troubleshooting steps. That was my mistake. However, I am nothing if not thorough, so I went ahead and did everything again for you Cypher. Here's everything I did and in what order:
1. Re-ran the batch, thus clearing out the recommended folders.
2. Opened the game, deleted all saves.
3. Uninstalled game.
4. Restarted PC.
a. Side note - I am running Win 10 with no software anti-virus installed and windows defender disabled via regedit.
5. Downloaded trainer and unzipped it.
6. Installed game again via Microsoft Store.
7. Started game, played through tutorial and first subsequent mission on a new save file.
8. Exited save, returned to main menu.
9. Activated trainer.
10. Loaded into save file.
11. Tested attempting to edit "unit stats in barracks."
Despite crossing my fingers, results were unchanged from previous attempts. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, so I'm sorry.
If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I've been part of this community since '06 so I know how it goes.
Thanks again for your time.