most kit lists i see posted online are rather pathetic an puny. if i were to put together a physical 'insurance policy' it would be at least 70 items and $10,000 worth of stuff.
2. bottled water.
3. energy bars.
4. a first aid kit(including pain killers).
4. a nylon rope.
5. a cell phone( preferably a Sat Phone).
6. a sleeping bag.
7. my PSP
Hm, same thing as saurabhfzd, only a few additions.
1. Survival Knife.
2. A relatively sturdy bowl. (To make food)
3. A LIGHTER! (Yes, it runs out but it may be used for more than lighting campfires. xD)
2. Bottled water
3. A well stocked first aid kit
4. My climbing equipment
5. Flashlight, candles and flares
6. Tinned foods, can opener,Flask, one of those billy can things also
8. Thermal clothes/blanket/Tent
9. Pick axe,Various knives,multitool,machete
10.Maps and other navigation tools
i think the point of a survival kit is to survive a disaster >_>
while it is true that traveling light will let you go further and faster, most people's little bug out bags wont last more than 72 hours....so when im putting together my system im thinking about what's more important to me, traveling lighter, or [increasing my chances of]living longer.