LOGIN  .  SIGNUP   .  SUPPORT 
HOME / MESSAGE BOARDS / GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

General Discussions

Signup   Message Boards Home   Newest Posts   My Favorite Boards   My Threads
Page 1 of 2   •  First Page  •  Previous Page  •   Next Page  •   Last Page
Signup or Login to Post
POLL: How long would you spend in a VR World?
 
Neo7  posted on Oct 19, 2012 7:07:59 PM - Report post

Moderator
Send a message to Neo7
MODERATOR
This was an interesting discussion that came up in an IRC chat in that technology is advancing and that at some point we could realistically consider implementing virtual reality environments where you can be the master of a virtual domain (this is a stretch but let us assume this is true). There was talk that it would be used for good purposes while the consensus on the more accurate statement was using it for non-productive self gratification uses (which again isn't a bad thing).

But here's what we did consider:

1. The difference between AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality). AR's aim is to add to the current reality. Lets say that you wanted to see a virtual community of AI smart enough to community that exists only when you put on AR glasses. VR's aim is to completely reconstruct reality as you see it into something in your image (i.e. Matrix-ish). I'm more in favor of AR technology due to an easier interface to implement.

2. How much is too much VR? In Japan they have a phenomenon known as Hikikimori which is basically hardcore shut-ins (think measured in years). They would use this to no ends as their new means to escape. Would they become depended on this system to a point where it becomes a virtual drug and in extreme cases a jail when they believe that the VR is the only world for them to find happiness. Extreme cases presented but addiction seems like a real threat in the hands of those not able to find happiness in their current state.

Not sure. Again I favor AR more than VR but that could open up some lifestyles drastically different then what you see today.

 
Monkey007  posted on Oct 19, 2012 8:28:02 PM - Report post

Current rank: 2 Stars. Next Rank at 1000 Posts.
Send a message to Monkey007
ELITE
Forever, so the last option.

If I could create a world in my own image and any and all connections to the entities in that world remain intact like they would in real life, then I see absolutely no reason to disconnect myself. Ever.

To be honest, I can't ever see myself longing for "real" humans with erratic behaviour if I can simulate that in my own world, without errors; it may simply take some time to perfect it.

This all depends on whether or not there will be limitations. For instance, if I don't feel the things I touch, or taste the things I eat in my virtual world, then there's little point to it. If those things can be simulated then it's basically paradise for me.

One major factor in this is probably gaming. Now before you roll your eyes, hear me out.
Once you have played many games and it becomes more than just a simple pass time, you develop a very deep pool of imagination. I'd recreate all those countless worlds that I have played in, and improve upon them to make them perfect.

 
saurabhfzd  posted on Oct 21, 2012 12:55:03 AM - Report post

Current rank: 3 Stars. Next Rank at 4000 Posts.
Send a message to saurabhfzd
ELITE
realistically speaking i'd say 10% a day in VR.

given the pace of current technological progress, i personally don't see it as too farfetched. its only a matter of time when we become masters of our own virtual domain.

for most physically handicapped individuals this cud be a godsend.

how much is too much? well...to each his own i suppose.

 
Shibby  posted on Oct 21, 2012 3:10:11 AM - Report post

Current rank: 4.5 Stars. Next Rank at 20.000 Posts.
Send a message to Shibby
ELITE
I would avoid this like the plague.

I don't believe it is something we should ever create but inevitably some idiot genius will do just that. Some people are so caught up in finding out if they can do something they never stop and think if they should.

The human mind is unpredictable and unstable, many people will not be able to handle virtual reality. We have a hard enough time with games like World Of Warcraft and player addiction without creating even more problems.

I am more in favour of AR instead but again I don't think I would use that either unless there was no way to avoid it.

I have a fear that the future will be 90% of humans stuck in a virtual world and the other 10% working in the real world to keep the virtual one going. I hope we blow ourselves up before we get to that stage.

 
AdmiralP  posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:10:27 AM - Report post

Current rank: 2 Stars. Next Rank at 1000 Posts.
Send a message to AdmiralP
ELITE
So which will it be Neo, the blue pill, or the red one?
 
Varacka  posted on Oct 21, 2012 8:42:06 AM - Report post

Current rank: 2.5 Stars. Next Rank at 2000 Posts.
Send a message to Varacka
ELITE
Well consider this... would this not be just like those people on wow or starcraft or w/e that are so "Addicted" that it is all they do somtimes to the point of lack of sleep/food/etc? I feel it would be. As such i would avoid it. I have a computer for that.. i dont need a new "addiction".
 
Monkey007  posted on Oct 21, 2012 9:04:15 AM - Report post

Current rank: 2 Stars. Next Rank at 1000 Posts.
Send a message to Monkey007
ELITE
quote:
originally posted by Shibby

I would avoid this like the plague.

I don't believe it is something we should ever create but inevitably some idiot genius will do just that. Some people are so caught up in finding out if they can do something they never stop and think if they should.

The human mind is unpredictable and unstable, many people will not be able to handle virtual reality. We have a hard enough time with games like World Of Warcraft and player addiction without creating even more problems.

I am more in favour of AR instead but again I don't think I would use that either unless there was no way to avoid it.

I have a fear that the future will be 90% of humans stuck in a virtual world and the other 10% working in the real world to keep the virtual one going. I hope we blow ourselves up before we get to that stage.

Isn't why humans need to evolve and learn to control themselves, and their minds? For those that simply can't do this for whatever reason, the technology shouldn't be available.

A VR world would need to be closely regulated so that not every single person can access it, which should be easy enough with such an advanced piece of technology. (I realize that sounds contradictory, but what I mean to say is that it's probably not a small portable device like today's smartphones.)

It's not like videogames in which every person should have access to it with nothing but an "18+" sign or w/e on it. On the other hand, in a VR world you technically can't cause any physical harm, so it's also a great way to research... all kinds of things without the real-life repercussions.

-

My original post (and I know you weren't pointing at it, this is seperate from the above) was simply what I would do if I had access to a VR world without any constraints.

[Edited by Monkey007, 10/21/2012 9:05:18 AM]

 
saurabhfzd  posted on Oct 21, 2012 9:05:13 AM - Report post

Current rank: 3 Stars. Next Rank at 4000 Posts.
Send a message to saurabhfzd
ELITE
quote:
originally posted by dssas

Well consider this... would this not be just like those people on wow or starcraft or w/e that are so "Addicted" that it is all they do somtimes to the point of lack of sleep/food/etc? I feel it would be. As such i would avoid it. I have a computer for that.. i dont need a new "addiction".

i'm sorry if i come across as a knit-picker but the word 'Need'..is quite relative in my opinion. most of us don't 'Need' an addiction, any addiction for that matter. we just happen to pick it up as we go through life.

what u're doing is quite wise in that u're consciously avoiding picking up any which is what we shud do.

one might give VR a try someday even if for just a few minutes purely out of curiosity and may, at some point, decide to hang in there a few minutes longer and so forth and soon without any realization whatsoever start to like it. over time the exposure and affinity increases and u're hooked. that is where ur conscious avoidance comes in handy.

u're right about 'Addicted' players of WOW and SC not being very different from that off VR users.

by being slightly dis-agreeable i don't mean any disrespect.

Page 1 of 2   •  First Page  •  Previous Page  •   Next Page  •   Last Page
  Post Reply
Go to page: 1  2 
All times are (GMT -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada). Current time is 8:18:55 PM