The AI opponents in Word War III are pretty tough to beat by even the best strategy player (no wonder, they use the same dynamic programming and machine learning algorithms as the Pentagon). Here are some mistakes however that you can avoid, because they make the AI job even easier...
- Building too many unnecessary letters, especially early on (e.g. SACKS is a good starting word, FUZZY is not).
- Not building enough power sources (e.g. S) to back up growth. Build a lot of (S) in the early game.
- Forming an industrial supply chain (e.g. mine->K->A) with letters placed too far from each other.
- Using all your supplies for building, then finding that you have run out of them for maintenance.
- Not using trade to accelerate building and fix shortfalls (too much trade is even worse though...)
- Building too many worker robots and more military assets than you can support.
- Not building enough utilities (U,V,Y) to combat inflation and give you an edge in the late game.