2)k-lite codec pack
5)allok video converter
[Edited by sabinboy, 7/23/2010 9:05:15 AM]
You use some horribly outdated software though OP:
2. IMG Burn
9. Kaspersky (free: Microsoft Security Essentials)
10. Revo Uninstaller
Outdated? How come it is outdated? I just did not mention the versions. Also you mentioned 7-Zip twice.
Also seeing too many people referring to iTunes, I would like to mention 4VideoSoft iPod Manager, which is much easier to operate.
4.Internet Download Manager
6.Potato Screen Capture
8.Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate
Winamp - Plays music
Internet Download Manager - ..yeah
The KMPlayer - Plays videos
Firefox - Internet browser
Steam - Games
Ventrilo - Real time voice chat
Nero - Burns CD/DVD
Msn Messenger - real time chat
VSO ConvertXtoDVD - converts xvid/divx files to DVD format.
IMG Burn is also open sourced and free and a lot more stable than MagicISO
OpenOffice and Microsoft Office are a matter of preference, though if you're pirating MS Office, you should be using OpenOffice instead.
Total Video Converter uses severely outdated containers and standards for compression. Handbrake uses the standard h.264 format as well as the mp4 and mkv containers that support way more functionality than avi and mov containers. Provides way more control over the output as well.
avast! doesn't hold a candle to Kaspersky in terms of detection methods and provides more secure ways of protection. The "false protection rate" literally means nothing as you can simply set it to "ask me what to do" on every detection instead of auto-delete and build the exclusion list that way much easier. Microsoft Security Essentials is a better free alternative as it provides much more integrated protection and even fewer "false rates" than avast!
Revo Uninstaller provides better "search methods" as well as better support for installations that are corrupt and cannot be uninstalled via an uninstaller exe.
1. Firefox - internet
2. Microsoft Office - school work mostly
3. Adobe Acrobat - also school work
4. uTorrent - Top Gear
5. Paint.net - image editing for blogs and wallpapers
6. VLC Player - playing videos
7. YouTube Downloader - downloading Top Gear interviews and outtakes
8. Videopad Video Editor - editing the YouTube videos I download (cropping out black bars, cutting out blank frames at the start and end, and merging multi-part videos)
9. Avast antivirus - free and works better than any other anti-virus I've used before
10. Dropbox - download it onto your computer and it puts a folder in My Documents, anything you put in that folder gets uploaded automatically to your online file storage. You can link folders to other people's accounts so they can see the files in it and give people links to download anything you upload.
11. UGS NX 6.0 - CAD program I use for school, and no I can't get it for anyone. It's $20,000 per license and requires an active internet connection to the main server to work so you can't pirate it.
Well looks like you are putting your preferences instead of actually saying what's better.
I do agree over 7-Zip having better compression ratios than WinRAR, but what would you say to the other features WinRAR has, Advanced SFX settings for example.
The question between OppenOffice and Microsoft Office is only the license, so your statement holds less water. Anyways I would always prefer Microsoft Office.
And about MagicISO, again its my preference, I am used to the program and its much easy to use and its effecient too.
And about Total Video Converter, I don't really care on what codecs it uses, it converts almost ALL AUDIO AND VIDEO FORMATS, and that's what I need. If I want anything better "Compressed", I would use any other tool for conversion, but most of the time I use this tool.
And I have had experiences with Kaspersky and avast!. I am not saying Kaspersky is bad - It is one of the best. But avast! isn't bad either. And about the "Ask everytime" statement of yours, I tend to disagree since there is a setting for it.
And try using Advanced Uninstaller if you haven't already. I am satisfied with it.
And none of this are actually outdated as they do get updated.