-The so-called “History Channel”, or “History” as it likes to call itself lately, has an obligation to live up to its name. Even on that rare occasion when they claim to offer a program of historical importance, it ends up being, as the recent “The Story of Us” has been, as lately reviewed on HNN.us by Dr. Jeremy Stern of Princeton University, “random highlights, poorly explained and stripped of context or meaning”. This is the perfect description of the standard fare offered on the History Channel.
1. Programs on alien conspiracy theories are, to the sane mind, based upon fiction. In context, these can illustrate the spirit of a specific time, but are not “history” in any normal sense.
2. Programs on modern technology can, also, in context illustrate a point. But discussion how a diesel engine is installed in a dump truck or explaining how a shovel is made or how a hot dog is stuffed is not “history”. These do not belong on a channel which calls itself “History”.
3. Programs on crypto-zoology and ghost hunting are pseudo-science and, when presented without context, are not “history”.
4. Programs comparing the technology in science fiction movies and in comic books to modern technology are not “history”.
5. Programs such as “Ax Men” and “Ice Road Truckers”, even when placed in context, are of little, if any, historical value. These, like those above do not belong on a channel which calls itself “History”.
-There are, however, programs on the “History Channel” which are of value. The recent programs “Pawn Stars” and “American Pickers” have found an addictive mix of education and entertainment; despite being “reality shows”. Some programs, such as “Gangland” properly place their subjects in relevant historical context and then present the history of their subject. These programs, which are both entertaining and informative, are fitting with proper programming selection for a channel which calls itself “History”.
-We call upon you to vote with your remote controls. When the “History Channel” insists on presenting you with mind-numbing programs on aliens and how earth movers are made, turn the channel. And support those programs on the “History Channel” that do belong. Together, in large enough numbers, we can force change on this television network. Together we can save “History”.
None. But you should change the channel when non-history programs are on. Ones like "Modern Marvels" or "Ancient Aliens" or "Ax Men".